'Treats' Acrylic on wood assemblage ©robinrkent

Friday, April 29, 2011

Close companions

'The Kiss'
Acrylic/Mixed Media on Wood Sculpture
Even before I start a new piece of art, I get happy. It's sort of like love. Magical or maternal.
The giddy anticipation of what's to come. Like spring or Christmas. And here I go like the seven dwarves whistling off to work at my art.
It doesn't matter what shape it comes in - paintings, assemblages, or sculptures - I form a unique relationship with each one. But some can be more unique than others. Not all are hearts and flowers.
Large 'Momma Box'
Acrylic/Mixed Media on Wood
Some works can turn into significant others - challenging you to think creatively to obstacles they present. Like a wrestling match. In the end, we both emerge intact and a little more mature: they've accomplished what I had intended: 'looking fine.' And I've learned a bit more about tenacity without losing the vision. (By the way, don't try this at home - it doesn't work on real people. They can be their own piece of work.)
'Coming of Age'
Acrylic on rough wood
And some can be like offspring. They want to please. We bond. It bonds. I mean sometimes the sculptural elements of the wood just fit magically together. The lesson there is not to use excessive amounts of bonding or overwork it.
In astrology, the fifth house represents creativity: having children and/or making art. Many famous women artists only created art. Georgia O'Keeffe comes to mind immediately. Marilyn Monroe, Jane Austin, Chanel, Julia Child, Emily Dickinson, and that great woman artist of maternal intimacy, Mary Cassatt. The muse as suitor and/or offspring. Go figure. The nice thing is whatever form they take, they're all good for the soul.

4 comments:

Sandy Mastroni said...

Great Robin !
I love your work .... love The kiss

Robin Kent said...

Thanks Sandy. -love yours too.

Carole said...

The Kiss makes me smile from cheek to cheek!
You get happy before you start your new pieces while I get quiet and unsettled. My hubby says he can tell "when there's a new painting on my mind" even before I say anything.

Robin Kent said...

Sounds like you have a very perceptive husband! True, I start off happy. The middle sometimes turns that smile into a grimace, and by the end usually relief. Sounds so simple but that middle part is a doozy.