'Treats' Acrylic on wood assemblage ©robinrkent

Saturday, July 28, 2012

A Routine in Less is More

Routine is good for me. But it's hard to stay on task in the summer.
'Buddy' (garden sculpture) hanging out     ©robinrkent
Routine is not so good when used to describe how I paint. Autopilot in art is questionable, even as a result of years of practice.
When painting in a 'semi-serious' mode (usually identified by pinched brow and pursed lips and rarely discussed here), my future goal will be to edit more - making the abstract stronger. Volume, composition, and flatten spaces are important in everything I paint or assemble. I don't care much for line, perspective, or rigidity. (wood being the exception)
I painted 'Reading to the Dog' (above) a while ago when dabbling in a 'semi-serious' mode.
I now see things I'd like to change. Editing choices escaped me when gripping the brush.
It's a challenge to explore another style: different ways of seeing, different decisions. I'd like to visit this niche more. After summer. The art world is such a big place.

5 comments:

An Urban Cottage said...

Buddy is awesome!

Cindi Myers said...

I LOVE "Reading to the Dog"!!!!!
I can't wait to see what you come up next when you explore that niche. I also am Crazy for "Buddy",
My god woman, you are amazing.

Carole Reid said...

Wow, Robin, your new header, Reading to the Dog looks amazing! Are you still wanting to change it? Are you going to?

I was wondering how you hung Buddy off the tree but now I see the wire. You are a clever thing! Cool belt.

Robin Kent said...

Carole- I have my mental paintbrush poised every time I see 'Reading to the Dog'. Will tackle it sometime when there's time. It's hanging up here at home so hard to ignore.
Most of the pieces I publish are sold, Buddy included. I got this pic of him hanging in the new owner's tree.

ArtPropelled said...

I LOVE reading to the dog! Your header is wonderful too.