'Treats' Acrylic on wood assemblage ©robinrkent

Sunday, August 12, 2012

Crossing the Line

Not having a broad choice of television viewing options, I'm so glad the Summer Olympics are on. It brought out memories when as a child, I had abundant energy and felt I could do anything.
'Crossing the Line' wood wall assemblage, acrylic ©robinrkent
My favorite was Track and Field. Spoken by one who now thinks a fast walk is a sprint.
How many athletes had names that described what they do. Americans Trotter, Gait(lin), Miles. The amazing star in quickness and theater was Bolt from Jamaica. Another Muhammed Ali in the making. Such bravado. Wonder what if his name had been 'Pokey.'

I loved the rivalry between the long distance runners of Ethiopia and Kenya. Beautiful to watch their fluidity of form.

Maybe my newly acquired walking habit makes me a child in the universal athletic family, too. I'm not running, however I've learned to walk again.  But oh, to show such grace while doing it.

7 comments:

Cindi Myers said...

I hate to admit this but I haven't watched the Olympics at all. I feel like I'm be unpatriotic as I type that. I suppose it's because I'm not very competitive and I always love the underdog.
When I was young, my sport of choice was bicycling. By myself.
I applaud you for walking. I will even CHEER you on! I need to make that a habit myself. Now that is a race I hope we both win! and as always, love your newest creation!
XOXO - Cindi Dawdle :D

Robin Kent said...

I never was a 'team player' either. Backed away from competition and still do.

Karin Lynn said...

Walking has become the thing I do so I LOVED the race walking competition....now they walk a 4 min km. for 20kms...wouldn't we all like to be that fit.
I continue to enjoy your humor in your art.

Mimi said...

ok, ok, I'll go for a walk. I love your whimsy runner here.

ArtPropelled said...

Watching the Ethiopians and Kenyans run .... fluidity of form .... exactly! I've really enjoyed watching the Olympics and am smiling at your assemblage. Memories of school sports.

Carole Reid said...

Robin, your girl running is delightful! She may not look as sleek as the Olympians she has heart and determination. I had a great time watching the track and field, bike racing, rowing, and other events.

Lake Houses looks like Cultus Lake area of BC where my parents live. Great shape and composition.

Have a good week.

Carole Reid said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.