'Treats' Acrylic on wood assemblage ©robinrkent

Saturday, September 22, 2012

My Folk Art Studio Tour...

...or The Shortest Commute I Know
I can paint just about anywhere. As long as I can concentrate to find my 'groove.' I've tested many areas around home and barn. Recently I've migrated to my bedroom. Figure I'll acclimate towards senior housing by setting up my easel here now. It's a north facing room with bed, bureaus, 2 windows, rocker, luxo lamps, desk, art books, paint. Some details:
A Folk Art Studio?  (It's messy, sorry Mom)     ©robinrkent
  • Kitty litter boxes, sans the litter. Thought the leftover piece of linoleum from the downstairs bath would spare my wood floor, but the double bucket approach (rinse jar inside the kitty litter bucket) was foolproof. I rinse the brush in the inside water jar, then wipe on a hanging towel in one unconscious swoop.  
  • The easel was a gift from Warren Kimble, our town's famous folk artist. 
  • Acrylic house paint in jelly jars are easier to carry. Medicine vials hold paint for on location touch ups (on floor, right of chair)
  • Sitting back or leaning forward in my rocker is automatic. 
Another nice spot to critique from is my pillow. It's about six feet away - the first thing I see in the morning is the work I did the night before. Really fresh eyes.

1 comment:

Cindi Myers said...

Oh! I love this post!
I was just talking with a blogger friend last night and I was telling her how I spent part of my day rearranging the spare bedroom with all my art supplies, clearing off tables, positioning them near the windows etc. and then I still end up at the kitchen table where I can easily let the dogs in and out the back door and of course I'm close to the frig!
XOXO - Cindi